Parental responsibility is automatically acquired by the mother of any child(ren). However, it is not so simple for fathers.
Whilst the father of the child(ren) automatically has parental responsibility if married to the mother at the time of birth; if the parents were not married, parental responsibility can only be acquired by the father in the following ways:
- The father is registered on the child’s birth certificate;
- The father enters in to a parental responsibility agreement with the mother;
- The father is granted a parental responsibility order by the court, following an application;
- The father is granted a child arrangements order, which includes arrangements for where the child(ren) are to live and who they are to spend time with (and when); or
- The father is granted a special guardianship order.
If you or require advice on parental responsibility or any other child arrangements issues, then please contact us to arrange an appointment on 01423 637272. We can offer you an initial free half an hour consultation.